Therapeutic Boarding School for girls from Mississippi. We serve students from all over the southeast and even have enrolled students from 5 countries.
The Evangelhouse therapeutic boarding school was established in 1995 to serve Christian families with a quality residential treatment option for troubled teen girls. In its quest to do so, Evangelhouse pioneered a treatment model that blends licensed behavioral healthcare with the structure of a traditional Christian boarding school. Since then, it has evolved to become the premier non-denominational Christian option in the marketplace of high-quality teen residential treatment centers.
At Evangelhouse, we get so many girls from Mississippi that we created this page for Mississippi families looking for a Christian all-girls boarding school. Girls in large cities like Jackson, Gulfport, and Southaven face unique mental health challenges. Located in Louisana, we serve girls from Mississippi and across the US.
The Evangelhouse Community
The unique setting at Evangelhouse provides a safe community that we believe allows our students to grow and study. In our community, we eliminate many of the outside world’s stressors that can hinder our residents from performing well academically and feeling well emotionally. Many of the stressors in our outside world may create overwhelming situations for our teens that are difficult to cope with. In the interest of fostering beneficial change in our teenage girls, we help them to develop coping strategies.
Milieu Therapy at Evangelhouse
The main goal of Milieu treatment programming is to eliminate the stressors that can trigger negative emotions from our teenage residents. In turn, when we achieve de-risking of our residents, we produce a therapeutic setting. Under the protection of a controlled therapeutic setting, our residents are able to develop new coping mechanisms. These new coping mechanisms become their personal set of tools to better cope with and understand the world. As our residents become more familiar with the routine at Evangelhouse, their ability to feel safe increases. Likewise, in a mutually safe environment, the peer group is able to build trust and make great progress in promoting emotional growth within each individual.
There are many advantages to participating in Milieu therapy. One advantage is that our teenagers learn to accept responsibility for their own actions. Another advantage is that they learn how to open up and disclose their difficulties. Our peer group receives regular feedback during therapy and this allows our residents to observe how their actions affect the community. This therapy setting offers them time to process and reflect on the consequences of the actions or decisions they have made in the past and how they can improve moving forward.
At Evangelhouse, our residents will participate in milieu therapy and gain coping skills that will help them in the real world.
Mississippi Teen Statistics
- Rates of youth depression in Mississippi increased from 8.5% in 2011 to 11.1% in 2014.
- Even with severe depression, 80% of youth in Mississippi are left with no or insufficient treatment
- 21% of youth (12-17) in the U.S. experience a severe mental health disorder at some time in their life.
- In Mississippi, approximately 50% of girls age 14 and older with a mental illness drop out of high school.
- One out of five girls ages twelve to seventeen had experienced major depression within the last year.
- 8.9 percent of teen girls experiment with drugs every month.
- 16.4 percent of teen girls abuse alcohol.
- 9.5 percent of teen girls engage in binge drinking.
- 10.3% of girls aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.4 million) have diagnosed anxiety or depression. Diagnoses of depression and anxiety in girls are more common with increased age.
If your daughter from Mississippi needs to attend an all girls therapeutic boarding school, please contact us today. You can find resources on mental health resources in Mississippi here: http://www.dmh.ms.gov/