We are a Therapeutic Boarding School for girls from New York including NYC and the surrounding area. We serve girls from New York across the US and internationally. Evangelhouse therapeutic boarding school for girls in New York is unique in that we are girls-only, we have a Christian setting, and we only accept up to 20-students at a time. Parents pick our location to create distance and separation while seeking a small, home-like Christian setting.
Statistics on Girls That Need a Therapeutic Boarding School in New York
- Every year, more than 1 in 5 New Yorkers has symptoms of a mental disorder.
- Moreover, in any year in New York, 1 in 10 adults and children experience mental health challenges serious enough to affect functioning in work, family and school life.
- The disease burden or total cost of mental illness in New York exceeds that caused by all cancers.
- 21% of youth (12-17) in the U.S. experience a severe mental health disorder at some time in their life.
- In New York, approximately 50% of girls age 14 and older with a mental illness drop out of high school.
- One out of five girls ages 12 to 17 had experienced major depression within the last year.
- 8.9 percent of teen girls experiment with drugs every month.
- 16.4 percent of teen girls abuse alcohol.
- 9.5 percent of teen girls engage in binge drinking.
Christian Boarding School for Modern Teens
Teenagers in the modern era face difficulties that their grandparents could have never imagined. Electronic media had compounded many of the “typical teen” conflicts that parents and teens normally encounter. Other issues, like issues with authority and control, are as old as time.
At Evangelhouse therapeutic boarding school for girls, we approach treatment knowing that teens’ interactions with their classmates and romantic interests have changed. Many of the issues we see from anxiety to acting out are rooted in screens or as a result of the widespread use of digital communication.
During treatment, we seek to address a student’s potential lack of crucial interpersonal communication skills such as the ability to recognize social cues. Social skill is a common topic in our therapeutic environment. A lot of the anxiety and stress our students face over socialization can be traced back to excessive use of technology.
At Evangelhouse therapeutic boarding school for girls, our students learn how to interact without the use of screens. We teach our girls how to manage their social media and texting habits. In insight-oriented therapy, they learn how they consume media, and how media can influence how they communicate, date, learn, sleep, and more.
Our girls focus on the present because they don’t have constant access to the internet. With an absence of digital distractions, girls at Evangelhouse therapeutic boarding school for girls face the issues that led them to our therapeutic community.
To help combat these stressors, our therapists use:
— Group therapy sessions to develop insight into what is causing stress and to teach techniques to reduce stress. Group therapy sessions are led by a qualified treatment professional.
— CBT- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. CBT sessions are led by a licensed therapist.
— DBT- Dialectical Behavior Therapy. DBT sessions are led by a licensed therapist.
— Homework assignments to support therapy outside of sessions
— Family therapy to prepare the student for a successful transition back to the home environment.